Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dogs

Found Grover a nice place complete with a lovely couple and a dog named Buster.  I call him Uncle Buster since, at thirteen, he’s Grover’s senior (for easy comparison, in human years Uncle Buster is 91 and Grover 35).  Even if slightly smaller than Grover, it’s clear that Buster’s in charge.  That’s a good thing because my dog has me wrapped around his little paw and needs someone to tell him what’s what.  Uncle Buster’s begun to do so.  He even tried to hump Grover, just to reassert the hierarchy, but the hump didn’t quite work out.  Though he’s in great shape, especially for his age, it took Uncle Buster just a bit too long to get both of his paws on Grover’s behind.  By the time he lifted his other paw and was getting ready to make his move, Grover slipped away diplomatically.  Uncle Buster then made it clear that a concerted effort was beneath him by nonchalantly scratching his ear.
When I adopted Grover, he was a year old and afraid of his own shadow.  For a long while, I had to avoid sudden moves or he’d scurry under the nearest table.  I felt bad for the little pooch.  So bad, in fact, that I did everything he wanted and spoiled him rotten.  By the second year, Grover’s hold on me was obvious.  So much so, that a couple of friends decided that a Cesar Millan intervention was in order.  They sat me down in front of a TV and got me to watch episodes of the Dog Whisperer by telling me that I would learn all about doggy behavior.  Ha!  By the time the first episode ended, I felt like I had been on a therapist’s couch for half an hour.  Cesar trains people not dogs.

I don’t think I can be trained, however, even with Cesar’s expert advice.  I really gave it my best, a real sportsman's try, but since that therapeutic afternoon in Ohio, Grover has made a lot of progress in the “she’s my bitch” department, while I've made none (one could say I've regressed) in the "I'm gonna train your ass" department.  Grover learned, for instance, that when he wants something, all he needs to do is to bark at me (sit in front of me, stare me down, and bark).  He wants to go outside, he barks.  He wants to play, he barks.  He wants a treat, he barks.  I take complete responsibility, of course.  After all, I am the one who first goes for the door and asks if he wants to go out.  If not, I go for the toy and ask if he wants to play.  If not, I go for the treat.  It’s always one of the three so, in the end, Grover gets what he wants.  I’ve tried to alleviate the situation.  I have let him bark and bark, hoping he’d wear himself out, but the little dude has staying power and I have neighbors.  I think I'm in an abusive relationship with my dog.  I wonder if there is a support group for that. 

In my defense, though, just look at this face!  How do you discipline that?  You're my only hope, Uncle Buster!

6 comments:

  1. I tried the Cesar Milan route as well, and it does help for when he does something bad or gets too wild at the dog park. But I kind of don't want a dog that is a soldier. I'm ok with him being a little assertive. And also, his sweet puppy face deserves treats and toys and to go out! Right?! RIGHT?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one, Sweet Lady, that's gonna be my mantra from now on: "I don't want a little soldier, I don't want a little soldier..." So, you wanna start that support group with me? *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. remind me not to let you dogsit my pooch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what happened to your water spray bottle technique (lol)
    Hi to Grover
    Presley

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete