Saturday, June 18, 2011

Poletown Adventure Continues


My encounter with Poletown continued today when I purchased multiples of pierogi packages to keep in the freezer for those evenings when cooking is not A’s friend.


According to her, this place has the best pierogis in town. I am inclined to believe her given the history of Alexandra Foods Co., which reads like an immigrant rags-to-riches story.   Also, I just tried the meat & spinach pierogi and oh my!


The couple started the business only three years after they arrived in the U.S. (penniless, I’m sure) and now they have a substantial store in addition to country-wide distribution:
Alexandra Foods Company was founded in 1992 by Polish natives, Mark & Alexandra Dembicki.  Upon their arrival in America at just 25 years old, the couple planned on starting their own business in their new home.  After saving some money they decided to embark upon their path to the American dream.  After 5 years of long hours, and often two jobs to cover expenses, their hard work finally started to pay off.  Business started to steadily increase.  After just 2 years of successful sales during 1997-1998, the couple realized they had hit a home run.  Plans and investments pushed forward and the company continued its excellent growth (http://www.alexandrapierogi.com/about.php).
There is nothing about their “path to the American Dream” or “years of long hours, and often two jobs” in the Polish version of the website.  The Polish description of Dembicki’s success simply refers to their hard work and initial financial challenges.  Needless to say, in Polish they don’t “hit a homerun” either.  We play baseball only in English.
 
As I drove to buy the pierogi, I saw a few more places with Polish signs.  They’re still freaking me out a bit, so I had to photograph at least one.


On the way back, I stopped at a grocery store to buy bread.  While in line at the register, I saw a DVD of a Swedish children's program I watched as a kid in Poland.  

I think it was shown on American TV as well, but was called Pippi Longstocking (is that right Americans?).  I adored Pippi the tomboy and her rapscallion ways.  She was tough and smart, had a monkey and rode a horse.  Her father’s job, if I remember correctly, required him to be away from home all the time because he was a pirate (the series took place in 1970s Sweden!).  Pippi’s mom was nowhere to be found (was she dead?  I can’t remember) and so the brave little girl lived alone and spent her days playing with a brother and sister who were super clean cut and afraid of everything.  It was Pippi’s job to ensure that they had a fun childhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment