Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pickle Redux

My previous post has brought some criticism from my brother cousin (this may sound all True Blood werepanther inbreeding-like but it's not.  He's my first cousin and as such, he can be referred to either as a brother or a cousin.  I prefer the double designation because it sounds creepy). 

First of all, the term for "szatkowanie" is simply shredding.  Secondly, and most importantly, once you layer and stomp the shredded cabbage in the barrel, you leave it inside the house.  It must be in a warm place for a few weeks so that fermentation can take place.  As both my sister and my brother cousin pointed out, that place in our house was usually near the radiator in the kitchen, which meant only one thing: an unbelievably not subtle fermenting aroma, an aroma that often wafted up to the second floor.  If one was unaware of cabbage souring, one could have easily assumed unsavory things about the homeowner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment