Sunday, July 31, 2011

The European Weather Sandwich

We've returned to Poland.  Got lost in Slovakia but overall and aside from the unbearable 16 hour drive (again!), all went well.  We drove during the day this time and I got to see some of the spectacular views along the way.  I'm most impressed with Slovakian castles and forts.  They show up out of nowhere as you drive along the highway.  I tried my best to photograph them all, but wasn't able to hold my camera at the ready the entire time.
I was in Poland for about a week and a half before we left for Croatia and now I'm here for another week and a half.  The way I see it, Poland is the bread (rain) and Croatia the sandwich filling (sunshine).  In Poland, temperatures have been in the 60s with almost non-stop rain while Croatian weather was in the 80s and 90s with almost non-stop sun.

Croatia:

Poland:
Granted, Croatia suprised us with some heavy rains, but all except for one happened in the middle of the night.  Aside from Isabella, the rain bothered us not at all though we did have to run out of the camper at about 3am to gather laundry we had hanging out there as perimeter.  Isabella, however, happy to have her car enjoy the warm night air, left its sunroof open and woke up to flooded seats. We then figured Isabella's sunroof for a rainmaker and constantly reminded her to close it.

It rained only once in Croatia during the day and that rain was no joke.  Our campground experienced a flash flood not especially enjoyed by tent residents.   We camper dwellers gloated--Schadenfreude 'r us.
Not complaining about the rain in Poland though.  I like rain, especially the warm summer kind.  Also, I will be apparently returning to record temperatures combined with humidity in the American Midwest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment