Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Writing is Hard

My writing needs an enema.  Writing is hard and often feels as if, pardonne-moi, my brain was constipated.  No matter the years spent writing, setting words on a page proves daunting almost every time I do it.  I realize that even seasoned writers experience difficulties and knowing that helps.  Even so, when I sit down to do any bit of professional writing, ideas crowd in, begin competing with my better judgment, and I stop. 
Writing is lonesome.  I like talking things out, discussing, even arguing (I am not the quiet type).  I tried arguing with myself, but it didn’t work.  I kept agreeing with myself and admiring the brilliance that came out of my mouth.  Then I wrote it down and deleted it the next day.  Blogging has proven enjoyable, however.  Much more enjoyable, for example, than keeping a journal, which I tried as a teen and got bored of after three entries.  Blogging is public and, as such, I keep certain things private, censor myself from time to time, and edit.  Even if no one read it, I’d still think that someone might come across it and it needed to be presentable.  As my grandma always says, if you’re going out in public, make sure you’re wearing clean underwear. 

Academic writing is public as well, but the process is different and lacks any possibility of immediate gratification.  I sit on an article for a couple of years and then send it out for review fully expecting severe criticism.  After all, the point of academic writing is feedback, criticism, and revision.   Frankly though, not all academic reviewers are nice.  It might even be the case that some do not know how to phrase an opinion, however informed, in a way that does not order you and your ideas to get a different job.  This is strange given that our day jobs involve giving college students positive feedback; perhaps we care about niceties when it comes to our students but not so much when it comes to our colleagues?  Maybe that’s how we get the rage out?  

I recently reviewed a couple of article submissions for the first time.  I spent an inordinate amount of time making sure that everything I communicated was framed and phrased in a kind and productive manner.  Most importantly, I made sure to let the authors know that their brains weren't constipated and that they were, in fact, wearing clean underwear.  I'd like to think I succeeded.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know, I've never had trouble arguing with myself. More with stopping the debate. But that may just be my particular insanity.

    It does seem a lot more enjoyable/easier to motivate blogging than journaling, though. And it's quite noble of you to forgo expressing your rage in order to provide constructive criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been experiencing similar writer's constipation for the past TWO WEEKS, Presley thinks (and you know I love my current writing project :( that you, Polka Dot, have additional reason beyond the usual academic traps...given your previous blog, I think you are suffering the further consequence of Immortal-Grandma-On-My-Ass Syndrome! Hope your coming further travel/escape to Croatia is coming soon so you can let it all out :) *fyi off to Michigan tomorrow/will be off internet until 7/19...wish you were going to be there

    ReplyDelete
  3. and..btw...LOVE the cartoon...have captured & going to put it on my office door. P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, JP, how I empathize.

    In thinking further about the blogging/journaling divide (oh snap, did I just construct a binary...?), I wonder: what gets lost when we are writing with the knowledge or belief that we are being "watched"? I often find myself enjoying the carefree nature of blogging due to the fact that, to a greater or lesser extent, I know what my imagined audience is looking for. When I journal (or should I say, when I have attempted to journal), I find myself unable to form a cohesive thought. I feel my body constrict as soon as I open those journal pages, as though something *more* is at stake when I write without an intended audience in mind. Ironically enough, I feel liberated knowing what the parameters and boundaries of my writing should be. And yet, how does one push oneself to think beyond these boundaries? Perhaps I can blog and write an academic essay knowing that I can impress someone else (or eventually get to the point where my writing becomes "adequate"). When I journal, I am set with the task to impress no one but myself. In fact, there may be no point whatsoever. Blerg. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Binaries are the coolest! I hear you on the boundaries issue--I think you hit the nail on the head. Honestly, I feel no need to push myself beyond them, probably because writing with them is hard enough.

    ReplyDelete